Bioenergy Ribose® is a patented D-ribose ingredient containing a highly bioavailable form of a unique five-carbon sugar called D-ribose (also called ribose or Beta-D-ribofuranose). This particular carbohydrate is distinct from typical sugars (such as sucrose and glucose) in that it has rather ubiquitous properties in the body - as an essential component of ATP - and does not get utilized in glycolysis.
Moreover, D-ribose has a multiplicity of benefits, extending from performance enhancement in the gym to better cardiovascular function and even promoting recovery.
Read on to learn how Bioenergy Ribose® (D-ribose) works in the body and the benefits of supplementing with this patented ingredient found in MPA CreRiboVol.
How D-Ribose Works
The main premise behind D-ribose as a supplemental ingredient is that it’s a component of nucleotides, with particular emphasis on adenosine triphosphate (ATP) - the energetic ‘currency’ of cells. ATP is synthesized when a phosphate group unites adenine (a nitrogenous base) with D-ribose.
In simpler terms: D-ribose helps your body create more ATP and thus restores energy to support muscle tissue (especially in the heart and skeletal muscles).
But what is it about ATP that makes this particular molecule so crucial for health, performance, and longevity?
As alluded to earlier, ATP is the energetic ‘currency’ of your cells - meaning it helps power physiological processes - like muscular contraction. ATP is ultimately something you produce from nutrients you consume as part of the diet.
Per example, the metabolic pathway glycolysis is responsible for breaking down carbohydrates/sugars that you eat and ultimately converting them into energy (ATP and pyruvate). Similar to a gas-powered vehicle without fuel (or an electric car with no charge in the battery), we would not be able to carry out even the simplest daily functions, like breathing, without ATP.
Furthermore, both smooth and skeletal muscle cells constantly use up available ATP to carry out physiological work (like contracting when you lift weights). Naturally, your cells must keep restoring ATP to maintain the necessary workload.
Hence, anyway to bolster ATP production (such as by supplementing with D-ribose) is conducive to increasing your muscular capacity to carry out physically-demanding tasks. More simply: the greater your ATP availability, the better you will perform in the gym and the harder you’ll be able to train.
ATP creates free energy by either releasing a phosphate group (via hydrolysis) or by phosphorylating another substrate in the body. Essentially, the phosphate groups in ATP molecules are where chemical energy is stored, and upon the release of these groups that energy is liberated to be harnessed by living systems to perform work.
Thus, by supporting ATP production, D-ribose helps fight feelings of fatigue and keeps you vitalized throughout the day.
Bioenergy Ribose® Supplementation
Given the importance of adequate ATP production in cells throughout the body, Bioenergy Ribose® supplementation can help users in a variety of ways. It’s important to note that foods don’t contain D-ribose, making supplementation with MPA CreRiboVOL the most prudent option for getting this key nutrient.
The most relevant researched-backed benefits derived from consumption of Bioenergy Ribose® include:1,2,3,4
- Support healthy cardiovascular function (by improving diastolic function)
- Support healthy mood and bolster energy levels
- Enhance muscular endurance during exercise
- Promote recovery and reduce muscular soreness
- May help treat pain associated with fibromyalgia
- Works synergistically with creatine monohydrate to maximize ATP production
Bioenergy Ribose® Dosing Recommendations
MPA CreRiboVOL contains pure Bioenergy Ribose® powder contains five grams of pure D-ribose per serving. Bioenergy Ribose® is readily absorbed into the body after oral ingestion, especially when consumed with the synergistic compounds in MPA CreRiboVOL.
It is recommended to take one serving fo MPA CreRiboVOL mixed with ample liquid directly after heavy resistance training in order to restore an anabolic environment and ensure optimal muscle recovery. Ideally, consume a whole-food meal or whey protein shake about 20 minutes after taking MPA CreRiboVOL post-workout.
It’s important to note that D-ribose may lower blood sugar; thus, type-1 diabetics and individuals on low-carbohydrate diets should be diligent about monitoring blood glucose when using D-ribose as it may induce hypoglycemia.
- Hellsten, Y., Skadhauge, L., & Bangsbo, J. (2004). Effect of ribose supplementation on resynthesis of adenine nucleotides after intense intermittent training in humans. American Journal of Physiology-Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology, 286(1), R182-R188.
- Pauly, D. F., & Pepine, C. J. (2000). D-Ribose as a supplement for cardiac energy metabolism. journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 5(4), 249-258.
- Gebhart, B., & Jorgenson, J. A. (2004). Benefit of ribose in a patient with fibromyalgia. Pharmacotherapy: The Journal of Human Pharmacology and Drug Therapy, 24(11), 1646-1648.
- Kreider, R. B., Melton, C., Greenwood, M., Rasmussen, C., Lundberg, J., Earnest, C., & Almada, A. (2003). Effects of oral D-ribose supplementation on anaerobic capacity and selected metabolic markers in healthy males. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism, 13(1), 76-86.